Thursday 14 August 2014

hello everybody and welcome to my blog, very strange word but we will accept it anyway. I have never done a blog in the past and I don't know whether blogging is something that it is for me however I will give it a try to see how this works out for two reasons:

  • the most important is to keep all of you updated as to my progress in the ITU world triathlon finals
  • to maintain a record of this achievement.
alright let's start then
it was in the 80s in South Africa that I made a decision to start triathlons and during this period I completed two, what was then called Ultra triathlons, but are now referred to as Ironman events. These were the Carling triathlon and Olson's triathlon respectively. I have a picture of one of these events which I will insert below.

is were all seem to stem from my days in life-saving and the friends that I had made during life-saving all of whom were my colleagues and team members in my triathlons.just for your amusement I've decided to add one or two pictures of our life-saving days to give you an indication of how long ago this was.


being as fit as I was at that stage and having competed in life-saving I decided to try my hand at a few standard distance triathlons. My swimming and running had always been very good at the cycling was always a weak point and in order to enhance my skills I sold my car to buy a bike which necessitated having to cycle to and from university on a daily basis. This certainly increased my cycling abilities.

Having completed in a number of the standard triathlon series races I was eventually selected to represent South Africa in the South African games. Bearing in mind the triathlon was very new and it was not as much competition in those days as the race now I was able to secure a third place in the South African games. I was looking for a picture of the race number and medal but cannot find that at the moment. As soon as I'm able I will post this online.

Having completed many years of competitive sport I took the decision to concentrate on family and career and did this, I feel successfully, for many years. One of the unfortunate side effects to this was this came with smoking which was not particularly good for my health.

Having moved to New Zealand in 2007 and starting a new life and career together with living on a lifestyle block much of my time was spent either working or mowing lawns and maintaining the property. There was also however a large amount of fishing involved in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment