Tuesday 19 August 2014

In April of 2010 I went surfing at the Mount. On returning to the flat Bailey was laughing at me. I eventually got her to admit that her humour was as a result of me looking like a penguin in my wetsuit.  This was due to a small stomach developing.  I put this down to middle aged spread.

It was in July that year I was walking to my car after work and turned my ankle badly. While limping around it occurred to me that this was a result of inactivity.  I was planning a two week trip with Matt to surf and fish the Northland area. I was going to need to get fit.

I finished my packet of cigarettes and went along to South City Masters to start swimming.  John asked me if I had swum before and made it clear that this was not a swim school.  He suggested I swim in the middle lane.  Well after 4 lengths I could not breath and went down to the beginner lane.

I attended training regularly and moved up two lanes quickly. At the end of the year we hosted the short course nationals. I swam these and was very pleased with a 1:14 100m freestyle time.

Over the years I kept working hard and improved my times. After my marriage breakup I set myself two sporting goals.
1. To break a New Zealand record.
2. To be selected to represent New Zealand.

The first task came about last year, 2013, we decided on a mixed team to challenge the+200 mixed relay record. At nationals, again at our home pool we broke this record.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your achievements, always good to set goals. Your next one is to be kinder to me for a year. I will support you with this :)
    It's a mahoosive deal representing NZ, not something everyone achieves, so well done. Hopefully we can catch up with you before you go. Go for Gold!

    ReplyDelete