Friday 29 August 2014

Sprint Tri
Well a definite turnaround. We started at 6:00 this morning to travel to the venue and prepare all our things in Transition. Once we were sorted it was a relaxed wait until marshalling at 10:00. It is always when the wetsuit goes on that the nerves start. I was nervous as hell but not anxious and I was confident that with a good nights sleep I would be better in the swim.

I was determined to hang back on the start of the swim and then go slowly to the first marker where I would accelerate and start passing people. As hard as I tried to slow down I remained in the pack but was fairly relaxed so did not worry. As I got the the first marker I lost my focus and had to stop again and breast stroke for a while. I was however determined this would not get to me. A large number of the wave had passed me but I decided to put my head down and swim, I started feeling comfortable and passing people. I increased the pace to a medium and on my sighting strokes I was able to see the leaders a little way in front. It was the last quarter of the race and I put the hammer down and swam into the leading bunch, I have not seen the results but am told I was out the water in about 8th position.

I ran to the transition and right past my bike but was able to get my kit and get moving. I had a great ride, not the fastest as my average on the course was 30 km but with the hills I was happy. I kept enough energy for the run and was able to run without any niggles or problems.

Overall I am happy with my finishers medal for what is my fourth triathlon. I have not seen my result as yet but I think it is in the 40,s... will let you know later. Very happy with the result and there is only room for improvement from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment