Tuesday 26 August 2014

Hi Everybody

Well we flew from Vancouver to Edmonton after putting  the bikes on a truck to go by road to Edmonton. The flight was at 10:00 and we got in after 12:00. We eventually arrived at the hotel at 2:00 and after getting to the room and sorting things we got to sleep after 3:00am.

Up again at 9:00 for breakfast, I was able then to chat to my room mate, Mark Craig, a GP in Auckland. Great guy and good company for the 9 days. After breakfast out bikes arrived and there was a mad scramble to see if everything had arrived satisfactorily. My bike survived and was together in a flash. Mark was not so lucky, the derailleur screws had stripped. We looked up a bike shop and he ordered a taxi to take the bike there. I agreed to cycle behind. It was fine going through the city but then onto the road bridge, I followed the taxi but soon realised I was on a cars only bridge like the harbour bridge. OOOPS!! I just put my head down and peddled like crazy to the other side. A bit of sprint training.

We fixed the bike and then rode through the old town and university, it is beautiful. The best part is that it is warm summer. The winter it is covered in thick snow and gets down to -30 degrees. We then went to the civic centre to register. It was great to see all of the other competitors from other countries around the world.

After that we made dinner and sat around chatting as nobody could sleep.

At 6:30 this morning we went to ride the cycle course. We had a bunch of all the NZ Team all in the kit. I must say it was a a very memorable moment in my life cycling in a bunch of top NZ triathletes in Canada. I had to pinch myself. The ride is good and will be fast but the roads are a little bumpy.

We then went on to the swim familiarisation. They have spent 2 mill cleaning up the lake and it is clean. The whole transition area is enormous and a little daunting. I had a good easy swim and the wetsuit is excellent, Thank you Dan from T3.



No comments:

Post a Comment