Thursday 28 August 2014

The 27 August dawned with much apprehension. This was Aquathlon day. We are required to swim 750m then run 5km. The previous day we all came down to the lake and did a familiarisation of the lake. The swim was great and seemed very easy. I did one lap just to try out the sighting and landmarks. I then did a second lap at a medium pace 12 mins, which should put a race time at about 11:00 mins.

Happy with that we went back for a sleep. The time zones and excitement have still not allowed for a nights sleep, so it was back to lying in the dark visualising the course.

Wednesday we all caught the train from the hotel and checked in for transition at 11:00.

You have to put your running shoes and towel at the change over point and make sure there is plenty of baby powder in the running shoes so that your wet feet slip in easily. The Kiwi team had secured a corner of a tent so we sat relaxing in the shade waiting for the race.

I was scheduled to start at 1:20 so we had a long time to stew on the whole situation.
We eventually got into out tri-suits and wetsuits, time for a few pictures with the room mates and then off the the marshaling point.


Notice the American Elite girls suntanning in the back ground. We felt it would have been impolite not to have allowed them to photo bomb our shot.

It was very hot sitting in our wetsuits as it was a 30 min wait to the start. We sat in any shade we could find and took some pictures.
There are 12 competitors from NZ in the 50 to 54 age group.

The race kicked off and it was a straight swim of 200m to the first turn bouy. I had already decided I would take this at a 75% pace as I did not want to go into oxygen debt or have one of my panic episodes. I was counting out 10 strokes then sighting, every time i looked back I could see I was well ahead of the pack and I was feeling very good at a relaxed pace. I was nearing the first turn bouy and this was the first time I started feeling any discomfort as the entire field would be merging to round the bouy. I was not too worried however as I was clearly in front and would not be in the meat mixer. I rounded the marker and as I straightened I started feeling anxious and feeling a little short of breath. I slowed a little to make sure I was well within my capability and had a few stern words to myself that I did not come all this way to lose. 

My feet were touched a few times and I had one swimmer on my hip drafting off me and then it started, the waves of anxiety and cannot breath, my legs went numb and I was panicking. It is weird but you literally feel like you are going to drown. I stopped to try to breath and calm down. After a few seconds I started swimming breast stroke, going through my mind was, I have to stop, I cannot do this, I wont make it and It required all the mental willpower I have to put my head down and try to swim. I think it must cause a chemical reaction in the body because all my muscles are just totally fatigued and don't want to work any more. I soldiered on at a slow pace stopping to do breaststroke a few more times. 

After what felt like an eternity I was at the finish and started the run up to transition.
I did a reasonable run but knowing I had lost the initiative I was not pushing as hard as I could have been. It was very disappointing but I did finish in 37th place, in the world!

We had the team dinner last night and the elite athletes came along and three of the U23 girls sat with us. It was very interesting to hear about their travels and competitions. It was great experience.

Today, Thursday, we racked our bikes and registered for the race tomorrow. Tonight is the opening ceremony then into bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment